The Resilient Heart - Stress & Trauma Care Program
Trauma or stress may come from violence or abuse, witnessing violence, being neglected as a child, being in a car accident, losing a loved one, and many other situations that vary by individual. If you were traumatized, you may feel a range of emotions. You may feel overwhelmed, helpless, shocked, or have difficulty processing your experiences. Trauma can also cause physical symptoms.
70% of adults in the U.S. have experienced some type of traumatic event at least once in their lives. That's 223.4 million people.
More than 33% of youths exposed to community violence will experience Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), a very severe reaction to traumatic events. PTSD is an individual experience, with ramifications for the family as well as the community, and is an injury of the soul and the spirit of the person.
The Resilient Heart Program passionately brings hope to those affected by chronic stress, PTSD, and trauma survivors.
Our bodies are designed for survival and have three responses to stress: Fight, Flight or Freeze. When we perceive a threat, stress hormones are released to activate the body’s protective mechanisms. Often this is referred to as an adrenalin rush. Blood flow to the muscles increases, blood pressure and pulse rates increase, and breathing becomes faster—all to enable the person to respond to the perceived danger. Any function that is not needed for immediate survival either slows down or shuts down. Digestion slows down, the immune response is suppressed, hunger diminishes, etc. Repeated exposure to stress or a stress response sustained over a long period of time can have a damaging impact on one’s health. It can also lead to negative coping mechanisms such as excessive smoking, eating or drinking, numbing through drugs or other maladaptive behaviors. For the person with PTSD, the perception of danger is a constant, and they are always “on.” The body is thus constantly stressed and health problems can develop as a result.
HeartMath techniques help those suffering from stress and trauma, for more than 29 years.
- Survivors of trauma
- First responders
- Parents and schools
- Survivors of human trafficking
- Humanitarian aid-workers
- Teens, children, and at-Promise Youth
- Anyone feeling overwhelmed, helpless, shocked, or have difficulty processing their experiences.
Science has shown that positive emotions can help shift and replace out stress-producing feelings and perceptions. This services to counter balance the depleting effects from our stressful reactions and also positively affects our psychological and physiological levels.
HeartMath techniques and technology help individuals move from an incoherent state to a coherent state of well-being.
Reiki and Bioenergy Therapy can be a profoundly healing complementary practice to trauma therapy.
During the fight or flight response, emotions are often buried in an attempt to assist the person through the traumatic experience. Emotions can get trapped and stored in the body as cellular memory. Through deep relaxation and calming of the spirit, those trapped or buried emotions and trauma can be gently released.
Energy Healing, like Reiki techniques and Bioenergy Therapy, are forms of alternative medicine. Simply stated, energy healing calms and stills the spirit of the person, bringing healing to old, buried wounds.
- It can promote relaxation to remind the body how it feels to be calm again.
- It can remind the body that physical touch can be nurturing and therapeutic.
- It can promote inner peace and calm.
- It can balance the bodies energy.
As we slow down our minds and attune to our deeper heart feelings, our natural intuitive connection begins to flow.
When the spirit self has been calmed and quieted, the physical healings of the body can begin.
Bringing Heart and Healing To Those Affected By Trauma
Dr. Cathy Chargualaf has expertise in the alternative medicine, neurophysiology of trauma, collective trauma, developmental trauma, and how to integrate Energy Therapy and HeartMath techniques into the different therapeutic modalities used to treat trauma. The tools and techniques taught in this program are complementary to all types of trauma-focused therapies aimed at improving the symptoms associated with trauma. Energy Therapy and HeartMath are not meant to replace other trauma-focused therapies or be used in isolation for trauma processing.
simple methods of integrating HeartMath techniques & Energy Therapy into trauma-focused therapies, and incorporate skills set in a supportive learning environment.
HeartMath techniques, Energy Therapy, and tools to self-regulate emotions, control of flashbacks and panic attacks to build personal resilience.
with the healing properties of the heart, restore hope through heart-coherence transformation, and reconnect with a sense of self-security and well-being.
PROGRAM FOR TRAUMA SURVIVORS & FIRST RESPONDERS:
For many, the invisible nature of trauma makes people feel hopeless and alone. The Resilient Heart Program provides evidence-based treatment to improve common symptoms following trauma, including problems with attention, emotion regulation, learning, sleep, anxiety and depression. Integrate practical tools to use “in the moment” that build resilience and improve the capacity for emotional regulation for yourself and your family. Learn to use HeartMath techniques and skills set in a trauma-sensitive manner.
The Resilient Heart Program also helps teach self-regulation techniques for first responders to build resilience, protect against burnout, secondary traumatization, and help themselves and others after critical incidents or natural disasters. Responding to each crisis or disaster, are people on the front lines: 9-11 dispatchers, firefighters, police and paramedics, along with hundreds of average people who find themselves helping without any training at all. While this work can be incredibly gratifying, it also carries the risk of burnout and secondary traumatization.
Learn skills and techniques in a trauma-sensitive manner:
- Improve physiological and emotional resilience.
- Learn comprehensive trauma‑informed knowledge, wisdom, and practical tips.
- Learn evidence‑based HeartMath self‑regulation techniques in a trauma‑sensitive manner.
- Use tools for emotion self-regulation and control of flashbacks and panic attacks.
- Learn HeartMath techniques that integrate into different trauma treatment modalities.
- Learn and practice to self‑regulate and reconnect to a sense of self-security and well-being.
- Use real-time biofeedback to demonstrate the effect emotions have on the body and to facilitate self-regulation.
- Learn to gently release trapped or buried emotions and trauma through deep relaxation and calming of the spirit.
- Learn new and powerful perspectives of how the intelligence of the heart can help to address some of the most challenging aspects of trauma’s impact on the mind and body.
Set up a Group Session:
Dr. Cathy Chargualaf partners with non-profit organizations, including schools, communities, social-service agencies, government institutions, hospitals, and military personnel and families to provide a broad range of evidence-based programs to build personal capacities for resilience, emotional regulation, and reconnection with their sense of self-security and well-being for adults, teens, youth, and children.
- The Resilient Heart Workbook
- Specific techniques for your particular situation
How STRESS AFFECTS the BODY?
- Purpose: To increase awareness and understanding of how stress affects the body.
- When to Use: Before you begin to practice any of the HeartMath techniques, review the facts of stress and the impact.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath How STRESS AFFECTS the BODY?
A Moment to Reflect Handout
- Purpose: To document your thoughts
- When to Use: First thing in the morning, or in the evening to reflect on what you know now that you did not know before.
DOWNLOAD: A Moment to Reflect Handout
HeartMath Depletion to Renewal Grid Worksheet
- Purpose: To identify depleting and renewing emotions
- When to Use: Increase awareness of emotions
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath Depletion to Renewal Grid Worksheet
HeartMath Quick Coherence Technique
- Purpose: To regulate emotions, build coherence, increase energy, increase resilience
- When to Use: Use in the moment to shift depleting emotions, for conflicts, or to prepare for difficult conversations.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath Quick Coherence Technique
HeartMath Heart Lock-In Technique
- Purpose: To build coherent baseline, improves and radiates a coherent field for others
- When to Use: Use for personal practice 10-15 minutes per day. Use in the moment to assist someone with co-regulation.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath Heart Lock-In Technique
HeartMath Freeze Frame Technique
- Purpose: To increase access to intuitive guidance for decision making, problem solving, or creative thinking, and mental clarity
- Use for situations that feel stuck and would benefit from a new perspective, attitude or solution.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath Freeze Frame Technique
HeartMath Shift and Lift Technique
- Purpose: To lift the vibrational environment surrounding you and the family
- Use in family discussions and meetings. Teach family members to help lift the vibration level.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath Shift and Lift Technique
HeartMath HeartSoak Technique
- Purpose: Facilitates the "letting go" of worries, painful emotions or distressing events
- Use for situations or feelings that appear stuck or hopeless and would benefit from time soaking in the compassion of the heart.
DOWNLOAD: HeartMath HeartSoak Technique
If you are interested in setting up a Resilient Heart group session, contact us and we will schedule a consultation session to discuss your specific needs.
If you have any questions,
Dr. Cathy Chargualaf, Certified Trauma-Sensitive HeartMath Practitioner, HeartMath Trainer & Coach, Certified Reiki Master, Bioenergy Therapist, Timeline Therapy, and a Sexual Assault Victim Counselor.
“What you taught me so far... Is working miracles! I am so grateful for you!”
"Tuning into your heart’s wisdom creates a profound shift within that helps you approach situations with more emotional balance, compassion, clarity and personal confidence."
"I was not even aware of the stress I was holding on to, until I learned the HeartMath techniques. Now I notice immediately when something is stressful and have the techniques and mind set to change my perception and deal with the situation in a positive way. Wow!! this really work."
"I learned how to identify stress that drains me, and techniques that helped me return back to who I am."
"I have learned so much working with Cathy. I am more aware of my sources of stress, and how to use techniques to improve my well-being and resilience to prepare for anything that comes my way. I the tools and I will use them daily."
"Thank you for your time today. Every time we chat, I realize again how very fortunate I am to have met you. I feel strongly that people do come into your life for a particular reason, whether for a short time frame or longer term, and you are one of those people for me. I really appreciate the fact that your own life experiences enhance your ability to help me in identifying a better way of thinking and approaching matters. You exude such positivity and compassion I feel like I've known you forever. You are truly a wonderful coach, colleague and friend."
"It validated for me what is important and not important to my well-being. I am better off and more grounded than I thought I was. It also confirmed to me, my support structure and the loving support I have around me.”
"I learned as you bring your physical, mental and emotional systems into coherent alignment, you begin to experience increased access to your heart’s intuitive guidance."
"Great program! It was informative. You explained things with real life examples which made it easy to understand, and you made it fun."
"This program is great for the family. I have tools to help me and my family handle things better. Thank you."
"After the 2nd session, I feel calmer and things that bothered me, I now see things in a different way. "
"These techniques have helped me see reality, to see thing for what they are and not take things so personal."
"I am less concerned about what others think of me. I have learned I am important, and these techniques have taught me to see things from a larger view point."
"I am less worried about things, and I do not play negative situations over and over in my head. I am able to let go things I do not have control over. I learned I have control over my emotions."
"I learned more options to dealing with problem situations, which will help me make healthier choices and bounce back easily during challenging situations."
"I learned what makes me happy and I have a positive attitude now. These techniques really work!!"
"I know now how to reduce stressful thinking, be happier, and improve my attitude by using the techniques I learned. Thank you!"
"When challenging situation happen, I am able to bounce back faster. I also have new ways to communicate, which will improve my relationships with my family and others."
Make a gift today to help deliver The Resilient Heart trauma-sensitive program to families. The Resilient Heart Program passionately brings hope to trauma survivors and those affected by chronic stress and PTSD.
100% of fundraising goes to the recipients of the Resilient Heart Program, a trauma-informed care program.
100% of fundraising goes to the recipients of the Resilient Heart Program, a trauma-informed care program.
Your donations will provide trauma survivors and those affected by chronic stress and PTSD access to The Resilient Heart, an evidence-based FREE program, that helps adults, teens, youth, and children build the capacity for resilience in a trauma-sensitive manner, regulate emotions, and reconnect their sense of self-security and well-being. This program helps to open their hearts, gain relief, and restore hope, towards healing from stress or trauma.